Dj papitoh on the decks


As we sat down at a table in club Empire, Kitengela Dj Papitoh is looking very fashion forward, direct and yet very humble .He comes off as mature and very charming. He makes you feel like you are just old friends catching up in the late afternoon. The more I get to know him the more I realize how passionate he is about what he does for a living.
·        Who is Dj Papitoh?
My real name is Peter Muigai .I am a young man, the firstborn in a family of four. I was raised by a single mother after my parents separated .She passed just a few weeks ago after battling cancer. I am really just a simple guy  with great ambitions and passionate about what I do.
·        When did you decide to be a Dj?
I decided immediately after I finished my high school studies. I went to St. Joseph international and even though I got good grades I decided to pursue my dream to be a Dj. I started six years ago; I never went to a Dj school to learn the skills. I just happened to meet a guy who liked what he heard and he volunteered to train me. He taught me basic and professional skills and eventually I become better. I later began working for a group but in 2014 I decided to pursue a solo career.
       Why the name Dj Papitoh ?
I got the name back in high school from my girlfriend back then. We used to write letters to each other and we would use nicknames .She gave me that name and it stuck.
        What criteria do you use to select the music ?
It is really all about the crowd .If I meet young people I have to know what to give them. As a Dj you have to be equipped and ready to deliver to any crowd .I am more of an entertainer because I am able to get people to enjoy themselves. Djs are all over and it is really not working because people want entertainers, they want a person who can switch easily to different genres of music and keep the crowd hyped.
        How do you prepare for a set?
It really depends with the client and the event if it is a wedding I normally ask the couple the specific song they want played .If it is a party I mix it up so as to squeeze in all types of genres to suit the different tastes of music in the crowd.
        What was your first event?
My first event was actually my birthday six years ago. I had not done any official advertising .I just told a few people and they were willing to support me. I expected a party of about 20 people but I ended up having a party of over 250 people. My first major professional event was in KU, still in the same year .I was nervous but it all worked out great.
        Which was your best event
My best event was the Matatu awards  event this year .
       What is the most awkward thing that has happened to you in an event?
Normally it is having a girl all over me. She like wants to kiss me and stuff .Although it happens most of the time some girl was just over doing it.
      How do you deal with it?
I believe it is good to be interactive but one should have boundaries. I just tell them nicely I don’t want this .I have learnt to set boundaries and be professional.                                          
      Who is your role model?
My role model is Joe Mfalme because he is more of a brand and that is what I want to be. In terms of skills my role model is Dj Kalonje because he has been able to manoeuvre around all genres of music.
        The challenges you face as a Dj
Machines sometimes let you down, one minute they are working and they are not functioning. Sometimes it is having to deal with the dramas in parties and the main challenge is sometimes clients fail to pay.
       What do you do to unwind?
I help train other Djs in a Dj school here in Kitengela. I love cooking and when I am stressed up I write .I also want to start poultry farming next year.


Comments